Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Mila & Me

Mila, our fluffy little red & white Shih-Tzu, is my wife’s dog. After we got married she harassed me about getting a little, inside dog and I wanted nothing but an outside dog. The only kind of dog I had growing up was an outside dog. That's all I knew. Plus, at the time, we lived in a small home - only 800 sq. ft. So we really had no space for a dog.

Well, the next year we moved into our townhome and she now definitely wouldn't let up on getting a dog. So I decided to give in and get her one for her 27th birthday. We did a lot of research. We didn't want to be one of those people who buys a dog because they're "popular" only to later abandon them. We wanted to make sure the dog would fit in with our lifestyle. So, with all of our research we decided a Shih-Tzu was our best doggy match. (I know. It's funny to say. Jimmy Britt still giggles every time he says it.) I tell you, though, I really love this dog.

Lately, I've had several sleepless nights and will get up to read or just do something - and Mila gets right up along with me. She is the first one to greet me when I come home. There is nothing that makes me feel better than walking up the driveway and seeing my boy in 1 window and my dog in the other. She'll jump at my leg until I pet her. When I sit to watch TV, she jumps on the recliner with me. When I was working from home she was always at my feet. She sits and looks out the window all day until Courtney and/or I come home. She doesn't have a care in world other than Courtney, Michael Dean and me. She is truly a pleasure to have and is an important part of our family. It doesn't matter how bad a day I've had, she will always be my dog and will always love me. In fact, a lot like God loves me. Now, I'm not comparing my dog to God - well, maybe the characteristics. But she kinda is a reflection of God’s unconditional love for me.

So, yes - that's right. I call Mila "my" dog and not Courtney’s dog. Don’t tell her, though!

No comments: